There’s no need to be disappointed and think that you will not be able to stream the latest season of your favorite show, which has just been released if your Fire TV remote is misplaced or damaged.
Fortunately, there are several workarounds for missing remotes, whether you want a replacement right away or have some time to wait. The Amazon Fire TV app, which is accessible on both iOS and Android, is the simplest method to get around a lost or broken remote.
With this software, you can search for movies and TV episodes using your phone’s keypad and microphone, as well as all the features that come with a typical physical remote control.
To transform your mobile device into a fully functional remote control for your Fire TV devices is relatively simple. The steps in brief are:
- First, you start by connecting your smartphone or tablet and Amazon Fire TV Stick.
- Connect your mobile device and Fire TV to the same wi-fi network.
- Open the app on your smartphone, and then from the Available Devices page, select the Fire Stick option.
- To couple your devices, enter the code on your TV into the app.
- Now, you are all set up and may virtually operate your Fire Stick from your phone using your mobile remote.
Going further in this article, we give you steps in detail about how to turn your smartphone (whether Android or iOS) into a compact Fire TV remote and what to do in case your mobile remote for Fire TV Stick is not working.
Steps to set up your mobile phone as a Fire TV remote
The steps are the same as given in the introduction of this article. Here, we have given a full explanation for each step so that you do not incur any problems while following the instructions:
- You must first download the Amazon Fire TV app. Use the App Store to get it if you have an iPhone or iPad. Download the app from Google Play Store if you have an Android phone or tablet.
- Launch the app when it has been downloaded, then log in to your Amazon.com account with your login credentials. You’ll see a list of nearby Fire TV devices you can manage in the app.
- Next, confirm that the Fire TV device you wish to operate is on the same wi-fi network as your mobile device. An advantage of this is since the app uses wi-fi, it doesn’t require a direct line of sight to function like an IR TV remote.
- Tap the Fire Stick option on the available devices page on the Fire TV app to start controlling it. A four-digit number will be displayed on your TV screen for you to enter into your Fire TV app so the two can connect.
- Once connected, you can use the primary touchpad-like section of the app to navigate by swiping up, down, left, and right, much as you would on the remote control. Like a real Fire TV remote, the Back, Home, hamburger, rewind, play/pause, and fast-forward buttons all have the same functionality.
- You can use the microphone tab at the top of the screen to search the content you’d wish to stream; you can even use Alexa to search on your Amazon Fire TV Stick. The outcomes will be displayed on the Fire TV.
- Tap the Keyboard button to get a soft keyboard screen if you’d instead search using text input.
How to use a Mobile remote for Fire TV Stick?
There are wo distinct types of remotes available in the Fire TV stick remote app. Plus, if you are an android user, you get an additional one.
Here, we will talk about the two modes that are common to both android and iOS users and how to use them:
The default remote control is the Directional Pad. Four directional buttons and a button in the center are provided for choosing or confirming items.
Swipe your finger across the black pad on the Swipe Gesture remote control to move, or press it to select or confirm items.
The Mini Remote is a little remote pad that shows on your phone’s lock screen and notification panel and is also available to Android users.
These remote controls include individual buttons for navigating the home screen, going back, going forward and backward, stopping and playing, and launching menus.
Switching between various modes:
You can switch between the different modes that are given. You have to open the Fire TV app’s remote screen, then press the gear icon in the top-left corner to switch between the various remote controls.
You will then be sent to a page where you may activate or disable the various remote controls.
How to fix it when the fire TV mobile remote is not working?
Ensure the same wi-fi connection
The Amazon Fire TV remote app establishes a wi-fi connection with your Fire TV and transmits remote control signals.
This implies that to use the remote app, your phone and the Fire TV Stick must be connected to the same wi-fi network.
Make sure your phone is connected to wi-fi first. The Fire TV will then require the same action from you.
To connect both, Navigate to the Settings menu.
- Select Network, and then connect to the same wi-fi network to which you previously connected the phone.
- To connect to the wi-fi network, use the remote’s Select button.
- After connecting the Fire Stick to wi-fi, launch the Fire TV remote app on your phone and experiment with the controls.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app
If you’re still having problems, try uninstalling and reinstalling the app, as it sometimes fixes issues by installing an upgraded version or simply clearing the earlier incorrect settings.
To reinstall the app on Android, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Amazon Fire TV Remote icon from the app or home screen.
- Tap “I” or the App Info button.
- Select Uninstall.
- Launch the Google Play Store and search for and install the Amazon Fire TV Remote app using the search bar.
Relaunch the Fire TV Remote App.
Restarting the app often works when the remote or any other app is not working, so you can also attempt to fix the remote.
To restart Android Fire TV remote, follow these steps:
- Hold down the Amazon Fire TV Remote app icon.
- Tap the App Info button.
- Tap Force Stop from the screen that displays.
- Relaunch the remote app.
Try using the app to see if the problem persists.
Clear the app cache
If your phone’s app cache storage is too massive or a particular cache file is corrupted, the application might not function properly and cause problems when used.
To clear the cache on Android, follow these steps:
- Start Settings.
- Navigate to Apps.
- Locate Amazon Fire TV Remote app.
- Highlight it without selecting.
- Clear Cache or Storage.
Check our detailed guide on how to clear cache on firestick.
We believe you know what to do if your Fire TV remote is lost or damaged. Using the Amazon fire TV app as a remote is an excellent alternative to buying a new remote, the prospects of losing are equally possible.
The Fire TV remote app barely uses any space on your phone and is accessible as its swipe and drag interface is what you are already accustomed to over your phone.
However, if it doesn’t sound like a reliable solution, you can order a replacement remote from Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What to do if I lose my Fire TV Stick remote?
You have two options in this case: You may use your Fire Stick by purchasing a universal Fire Stick remote.
The second option is the Fire TV Remote app, a fantastic alternative to the traditional remote. It is conveniently accessible on your phone.
Just download the Amazon Fire TV app, which is available for iOS and Android on Apple App Store and Google Play Store, respectively.
How does the Fire TV Stick Remote app work?
Fire Stick TV enables you to manage your Amazon Fire TV right from your iPhone or Android-based smartphone.
The app utilizes simple swipe-based controls and brings a lot of convenience for those who have lost their phones.
Using your keyboard, you may also access your preferred entertainment more quickly and easily. One tap is all it takes to open an app from the dedicated Apps Menu.
How to set up my Fire TV Stick remote?
Setting up your mobile as a fire TV remote is relatively easy. The steps to conclude the process are as follows: Launch the fire TV Remote app on your phone, select Sign In > enter login credentials as email and password > Select Sign In > select device > enter connection request code number, and you are all set.
An important thing to remember is that you may link devices using the app only when your mobile device and Fire TV Stick are connected to the same wi-fi network.