The Google Chromecast and the Amazon Firestick are direct competitors with one another, easily two of the most popular media streaming sticks on the planet and hardware that anyone with an HDTV should have plugged into an input for sure.
And while both of these pieces of hardware share a lot of similarities there are definitely things that one does better than the other (and vice versa).
This has led to plenty of people wanting to run both a Chromecast and a Firestick on their TV – or, at the very least, find a way to share or clone all of the features from one device to the other.
Truth be told, though, lots of people are looking to know whether or not it’s even possible to learn how to use Chromecast with Firestick hardware.
Can these devices “talk to one another”?
or, Can they work synergistically?
You are going to be stuck picking one or the other, hopefully finding ways to make them operate as close to a carbon copy as the other as possible without sacrificing their own unique benefits?
Let’s dig in and find out right now!
Does Chromecast Work with a Firestick?
Right out of the gate we should tell you that you are not going to be able to use a Chromecast and a Firestick at the same time, except in very rare (and unique) circumstances.
You see, both of these media streaming solutions are going to take up an entire input slot on your HDTV.
If you have your TV tuned to the input that your Chromecast is running that it won’t matter if your Firestick is running in the background.
Nothing’s going to show up and you wouldn’t even know that your Firestick was on in the first place.
The same is true if you have your Firestick with your Chromecast running in the background.
Really, the only way you’re going to be able to have both of these inputs showing at the same time is if your television or monitor supports Picture in Picture screen technology – and it allows PIP to work with two different input sources on your television.
Tracking down a TV with this kind of technology isn’t always easy and it’s definitely not universal just yet.
Unless your TV has those capabilities you’re better off settling on either the Chromecast or the Firestick.
How To Turn Your Firestick Into a Faux Chromecast?
Of course, the reason that so many people love the Google Chromecast is because of how easy it is to mirror or extend their screen onto a television or monitor just by using the cast or mirror technology.
Amazon Fire TVs (the larger precursor to the Firestick) used to have this capability built right in to the main menu, but recent versions of the Firestick haven’t included it there for one reason or another.
Luckily, though, casting to your Firestick after downloading a simple application (especially if you are running iOS on an iPhone or an iPad) is pretty straightforward.
Grab an app like the free version of Airscreen from the App Store, enable display mirroring on your phone, and connect to the application directly. You’re good to go!
How To Cast FireStick from an Android Phone That Supports Miracast?
If you have an Android phone that is compatible with Miracast, casting to a Fire Stick involves enabling display mirroring mode on the Fire Stick and subsequently connecting your phone. This process allows your phone’s display to be mirrored onto the screen connected to your Fire Stick.
Here’s a detailed guide on how to cast to Fire Stick similarly to Chromecast:
- Navigate to ‘Settings‘ on your Fire Stick.
- Choose ‘Display & Sounds‘.
- Click on ‘Enable Display Mirroring‘. Wait until the screen displays that the mirroring mode is active.
- Next, open the ‘Settings‘ on your Android phone. Select ‘Connections‘ followed by ‘Bluetooth‘.
- Tap on ‘Connection preferences‘, then select ‘Cast’.
- Look for a three vertical dots menu icon. If your phone lacks this icon on the screen, it simply means that it does not support native casting to Fire Sticks or other devices that are not Chromecast. Devices running stock Android, such as Google Pixel, do not have this menu icon.
- Hit ‘Enable wireless display‘.
- From the list of devices, select your Fire Stick.
Once these steps are completed, your phone’s display should be mirrored onto your Fire Stick. You can now open the desired app for casting and switch your phone to horizontal mode for optimal viewing.
How Do I Cast to FireStick from an Android Phone With Miracast?
Simply go into the Settings of your Firestick, navigate to the Display ; Sounds section, and then drop down to the Enable Display Mirroring option.
Click that and then use your phone to connect to your Firestick, casting and mirroring whatever it is on your Android device.
If you want to use your Chromecast with iPhone, you must check our article “How to use Chromecast with iPhone?”
Why Is My Fire Stick Showing Not Supported for Chromecast?
Have you got a notification stating “No nearby devices were found” within your phone’s menu, and the option to activate wireless display is nowhere to be seen, it means that your phone can’t cast to a Fire Stick.
Android once included this feature as a standard, but it was eliminated in Android 6.0. Some manufacturers have chosen to reintegrate it, while others have not.
If your Android device is unable to cast to a Fire Stick, there’s an alternative. You can download the Screen Mirroring app on both your Fire Stick and your phone.
This solution is also compatible with iPhones, making it an excellent choice if you have both iOS and Android devices.
How To Cast to Fire Stick From Android and iPhone Without Miracast?
If your phone lacks the ability to cast, you’ll need to resort to a third-party application. There are numerous apps available that offer varying degrees of streaming capabilities.
One such app is Screen Mirroring, which is compatible with both Android and iPhone devices. This application mirrors your entire screen, rather than just casting files from your phone, making it a viable solution even if your phone doesn’t support Miracast.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use the Screen Mirroring app to cast to Fire Stick from an iPhone or Android:
- Download and install the Screen Mirroring app onto your Fire Stick. Launch the app once the installation is complete. You can find the Screen Mirroring for Fire TV app in the Amazon App Store.
- Download the Screen Mirroring app onto your Android device or iPhone.
For Android users, the app is available on Google Play.
iPhone users can download it from the App Store.
- After installing, open the Screen Mirroring app on your phone. Select the checkmark.
- From the list of devices, select your Fire TV.
- Hit ‘Start Mirroring‘ to initiate the process.
- An option to ‘WATCH AD‘ will appear. Watch the advertisement as this is a free app. Alternatively, you can purchase the pro version to avoid ads.
- Once you’ve finished watching the ad, click on ‘Start now‘.
Congratulations! Your phone screen should now be mirrored on your Fire Stick. You can now select the app you’d like to cast and enjoy it on your TV.
How To Cast from a PC to a FireStick?
Casting from a PC to a Fire Stick is straightforward, especially when compared to iOS devices. Windows 10 is the preferred operating system for this process, eliminating the need for any third-party software.
However, it’s essential to have Bluetooth and a Wi-Fi connection enabled on your PC for casting.
Setting Up Your Fire TV Stick
- To begin, press and hold the Home button on your Amazon Fire TV Stick.
- Then, select the Mirroring option and make a note of the Fire TV Stick’s name – you will need it later.
Setting Up on Windows 10
- Launch the Windows Action Center and for this simultaneously press the Windows Key and the A key.
- After that, select ‘Connect‘. This is the casting feature on Microsoft devices.
- If you don’t see the ‘Connect’ option, simply expand the list to access all available options.
- Upon choosing your Fire TV Stick, wait for a few seconds while the connection is being set up.
- Once this is done, your Windows device is ready to cast content directly onto your Fire Stick.
How Can You Stop Casting to a FireStick?
Even though you have turned off your television and there’s a black screen, your smartphone doesn’t detect this and continue casting to your TV.
When you switch your TV back on, you’ll still see the Fire Stick home screen.
To effectively “switch it off,” you’ll need to manually stop the mirroring process from your smartphone. But, the steps to do this vary between iOS and Android devices.
For iPhone users, go to the Settings menu, select the “Screen Mirroring” option, and select Stop Casting.
On the other hand, if you’re using an Android device, you should swipe down on your screen to access the “Quick Settings” panel. From there, click on “Screen Cast” and turn off the mirroring function.
How To Cast MacOS to FireStick?
To successfully mirror your macOS to a Fire TV Stick, you’ll need to use a third-party app.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do this:
- Download and install a third-party application such as AirPlayMirror Receiver or AirScreen. For this example, we’ll be using AirScreen.
- Launch the AirScreen app and choose the ‘Help‘ option from the menu located on the left side of the screen.
- Next, select ‘macOS > AirPlay on Firestick‘.
- Open the Control Center on your Mac device.
- Choose ‘Screen Mirroring‘ and then click on ‘AirPlay‘ to mirror your Firestick.
Please note, you may need to initiate the casting process several times for it to work with certain videos. If a particular video doesn’t play, go to the FAQ section on the app’s home page.
Troubleshooting This Connection
If the casting connection between your mobile phone or tablet (running iOS or Android) is anything but stable and reliable you may need to fiddle with your phone settings or even power cycle the Firestick itself.
First, make sure that Bluetooth is on the device that you are looking to cast from. If that doesn’t fix the problem, consider turning Bluetooth on, then off, then on again.
You can also power cycle the Firestick by pressing down on the home button as well as the play button simultaneously for a couple of seconds, waiting until the on-screen prompts lets you know that your Firestick is restarting.
That’s usually enough to shake out any of the bugs that may be plaguing the casting connection!
If you have additional questions about mirroring your device to an Amazon Fire Stick or using the Fire Stick similarly to Chromecast, feel free to reach out to Amazon’s customer support or refer to your device’s user manual.
Chromecast is a great choice if you’re looking to project apps such as YouTube, Netflix, Spotify, and more from your phone to your TV. On the other hand, the Fire Stick can transform your regular TV into a smart one.
When exploring different streaming options, don’t forget about Miracast.
However, it’s noteworthy that Google stopped its support for Miracast post the launch of Android 6.0 Marshmallow in 2015.
Despite this, Miracast is still incorporated into two of the most widely used streaming gadgets – the Roku Ultra and the Amazon Fire Stick.
Moreover, certain Android devices, including those from Samsung and OnePlus, continue to support Miracast.