Undoubtedly, Fire Stick is an awesome streaming device but things become nasty when your Amazon FireStick remote won’t pair to the TV Stick. You cannot use your fire stick an watch movies or shows without a remote.
Thankfully, it happed to me once and so I found the ways to fix fire tv stick remote if its not pairing.
The below sections in this article outlines the common causes that leads to Amazon fire tv remotes not pairing and how you can solve them easily.
1. Change The FireStick Remote Batteries
Yes, this seems too simple; but its something that you must check once. If you are using Firestick from a long time and haven’t ever changed the remote batteries, you must replace them.
The firestick remote use 2AAA batteries that you can easily replace by removing the back cover of the remote.
I would recommend you to use the rechargeable batteries like this one for your fire tv device remote. The pack has 4 rechargeable AAA batteries. Whenever my remote batteries dies I always have 2 set of AAA batteries ready as replacement remote batteries.
2. Make Sure Your Fire Stick Remote is in Device’s Range
The Fire Stick remotes use Bluetooth technology to pair with the Amazon Fire TV Stick. The connectivity range of these remotes vary and it could be between 10 feet to 30 feet distance from the firestick device.
So, if your fire tv remote is not pairing with the device then the distance could be the main culprit and getting your remote close to the device could solve the problem.
3. Remove Obstructions That Could Block The Remote Signals
Even though your fire tv stick remote comes with bluetooth technology, it still requires a clear pathway to pair with the device.
For example, if you have a gaming console or a pile of books placed in front of the fire tv stick device, it could block the remote signals from reaching the fire tv stick device.
Also, if you have devices around the fire tv stick such as microwaves, remove them.
In short, to fix firestick remote not working issue due to obstructions you only have to remove the obstructions coming in clear line between the firestick remote and the device.
4. Check For The Bluetooth Devices Connection Limit
Most of the firestick users have no idea about the number of devices that they can connect with their firestick. So, here it is!
You can connect up to 7 bluetooth devices with a firestick and in case you already have 7 devices connected to it, you will have to remove one of them to pair your firestick remote.
Here’s how you can remove the connected devices:
- Navigate to Settings and select Controllers and Bluetooth Devices.
- Choose the device you want to unpair from the list.
Once you have unpaired a bluetooth device, try pairing your fire tv stick remote. It is doesn’t pair at first attempt, try connecting it 2-3 times.
If still your fire tv remote won’t pair, reset your remote and repair it once again.
5. Unpair And Re Pair The Remote
Unpairing and re-pairing the remote is a ninja technique that has been working for most of the firestick users facing firestick remote not working problem.
- To unpair the firestick remote, Press and hold Home and Back buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- To re-pair the firestick remote, press and hold Back button for 10 seconds.
You can also use the below alternate method if you already have a spare fire Tv stick remote.
- Press and key on your spare firestick remote to wake the home screen.
- Navigate to Settings and choose Controllers & Bluetooth Devices.
- Now, select Amazon Fire TV Remotes.
- Choose the remote that is not pairing.
- Press the Menu button on the remote and then Select button. This will remove the remote from the list.
- Now, go to Add New Remote and Press and hold Home button on the remote you just removed.
- You will get a prompt on the firestick home screen, now press Select button on the spare remote.
Hopefully, your firestick remote would be paired with the device and working.
Quick tip: If you don't have a spare or extra physical Fire Stick remote, you can use your phone as a firestick remote control.
6. Reset Your Fire Stick Remote
Resetting the remote refreshes the remote’s software and connection. You must try resetting your remote when the above unpairing and repairing the remote doesn’t work for you.
Since there are different remote types you can have with your Firestick, so check our guide on how to reset your Amazon Firestick remote.
7. Check For Physical Damage in Your Fire Stick Remote
If you have followed the above solutions and still your remote is not connecting, you should check for damage in the physical remote.
Look for cracks or evidence of damage and if you find one, go for a replacement remote since the temporary fixes won’t give provide you a long term solution.
You can find a lot of FireStick compatible remotes on Amazon in just a few dollars but check for positive reviews and ratings before buying one.
8. Check If Your FireStick Remote Is Compatible
This solution is not for people with a original out of the box firestick remote. But, if you have purchased a new replacement remote there could be a compatibility issue.
So, what should you do now?
You should check your firestick device generation and model and the compatibility of the remote that you have purchased.
Generally, when you will search for a Fire Stick remote on Amazon you would find hundreds of sellers selling the cheap replicas and the original remote. So, don’t fall to these traps and always buy from authentic websites and sellers.
9. Use Amazon Fire TV Remote App As Your Backup Remote
Is your Amazon Fire TV remote still not pairing? or your remote ran out of batteries at midnight.
Amazon has officially provided the Amazon Fire TV App for the firestick users using which you can control your Fire TV device.
Quick Tip – Remember that your smartphone and Fire Stick device must be connected to the same Wi Fi network.
10. Reset Your Fire TV Stick
Factory resetting your Fire Stick should always be the last resort as it erase all the previous saved data and restores your device to its original unboxing state. So, you should only reset your device if none of the troubleshooting work for you.
Here’s how you can do this:
- Go to Settings menu.
- Select My Fire TV option.
- Choose Reset To Factory Defaults.
- Click on OK to confirm.
11. Contact Amazon Fire TV Support If The Issue Persists
If you are at this step, it means that all the above troubleshooting steps failed to help you out in fixing your firestick pairing issue.
If you are this stage, waste no time and contact Amazon customer support for help.
These tech guys are best at their work and help you fixing any Fire TV issue. You can even get a free replacement if they find out that the issue is with the Firestick device itself and you are under warranty.
What To Do If New Fire Stick Remote Is Not Pairing?
Generally, the new remote automatically pair with the Firestick device. However, if your fire tv remote is not pairing, here’s what you should do:
- Press the Home button on the remote for 10 seconds or until you get “Press Play/Pause button” on your home screen.
- Now, take your remote closer (within 10ft) to the firestick device.
- Remove the batteries, wait for half a minute and then the put the batteries back in the remote.
- Press and hold the Home button for one more time and follow the on screen instructions. If the new remote is still not pairing, replace the remote batteries with new ones and retry pairing.
- Reset your Fire Stick remote, if the issue persists.
Most of the problems I faced with firestick remote was due to low or drained out battery. I would advice you to use batteries that lasts longer like Duracell – always lasted for around 6-8 months.
So, whenever you face difficulty with the remote, replace the batteries first or like me you can also download the Fire TV Remote App as a backup remote.
Also, remember to connect your phone and fire stick to the same wifi network while using the Remote App.
I have covered all the possible causes that can lead to remote issues and provided solutions for them in this article.
If you are facing any other difficulty that I have not provided solutions to on this website, please share with me in the comments section below.