If you’re one of the many Americans who has already had their fair share of water leaks or flooding in their home, then it might be time to consider installing an automatic water shut off valve.
If you haven’t experienced that drama yet, then now is the perfect time to put in place an action plan.
We took the liberty to do all the research for you and have chosen the top five best valves to shut your water off automatically.
Thanks to today’s modern technology, some of these can even be installed without having to call a professional or a plumber.
That’s a win, win in our book! So let’s get started.
Our Top 5 Picks – Best Automatic Water Shut Off Valves
#1 – Flo by Moen Smart Water Shut off valve
If you’re looking for state-of-the-art technology, then this automatic water shut-off valve from Moen won’t disappoint.
It has the ability to automatically detect and shut off your water to prevent any damaging water leaks.
You can control and monitor the Flo by Moen smart water shutoff by installing its app on your smartphone.
This allows you to shut the device on or off whenever you want to, and you will see how much water your home is consuming on a daily basis.
There are three sensors that will monitor the water in your home and give you details about the pressure, temperature, and flow rate.
What we liked best:
- The ability to test daily for any leaks with its auto detection
- Includes MicroLeak Technology
- You can control everything from the mobile app or use it with Alexa or Google Assistant
- Allows you to set goals for your water consumption
- Fully integrated shut-off system
- Unless you’re really good with plumbing, you’ll need to call a professional to get the job done correctly and efficiently
Notes: You can choose from one to three detectors, a battery backup, and the extension cable.
Size(s) – 1.25 Inch, 1 Inch, and 0.75 Inch Valves
Compatibility – Alexa and Google Assistant
#2 – Water Leak Detection Starter Kit by LeakSmart
This starter kit for water leak detection comes with an automatic water shut off valve, water leak sensor, and a smart hub.
It literally has everything you need to protect your home from unforeseen water damage.
The LeakSmart app will inform you of everything going on with your water.
It will continuously monitor your water temperature and detect any leaks.
It can also notify you when your battery is getting low or needs to be changed.
The automatic ‘five second shut off’ works seamlessly when the LeakSmart device detects any leaks and is ideal for preventing massive problems.
What we liked best:
- Sends notifications to your phone when it has shut your water off due to a leak.
- When there is a power outage, you’re covered with its 100% battery back-up.
- Simple display with easy-to-read LED lights, green is open, and red is closed.
- Autodetection for leaks includes instantly shutting off your main water pipes.
- 24/7 Protection and reduces unnecessary water consumption.
- Customer service is not the best, and you may need to call a few times to get your questions answered.
Notes: Many people have installed this device successfully without calling a professional; however, you should base the installation on your complete understanding. If in doubt, call a plumber.
Size(s) – 7.6 x 7.6 x 11.6 Inches
Compatibility – Alexa, SmartThings, and Wink
#3 – EcoNet Controls Bulldog Valve Robot
If you don’t want to spend a fortune on an automatic water shut-off valve, then EcoNet Controls is going to be your best bet.
It’s easy to use and doesn’t require any plumbing to be installed and works efficiently as a smart home controller.
You won’t need any special tools when hooking this device up, and it easily fits over any existing levered ball valve.
The ‘smart home water management’ is just one of the many features you’ll get with the EcoNet Bulldog Valve Robot.
You’ll receive a leak alert on your mobile device when the leak sensors detect a leak, and it will instantly shut off your water.
What we liked best:
- Durable, easy to install, and very simple to use.
- Automatic shut-off works instantly and simultaneously notifies you of a leak.
- Z-wave certified valve and compatible with many of the popular apps and devices.
- Uses smart hubs to communicate.
- Works with multiple water sensors.
- Connectivity can sometimes be weak, and there is currently no mobile app.
Notes: It works effortlessly on the most rigid valves, thanks to its incredible torque.
Size(s) – ½”, ¾”, 1”, 1.25”, and 1.5” Valves
Compatibility – SmartThings, Wink, Hubitat, Nexia, Control4, Universal Devices, and Honeywell
#4 – Grohe Sense Guard Smart Water Controller
Suppose you’re looking for an automatic water shut-off valve that can detect not only breaks or micro-size leaks but can also identify frost and any other water flow issues.
In that case, this modern Grohe Sense Guard Smart Water Controller is exactly what you need.
This compact and easy to use device can be installed with or without a professional plumber.
However, it would take a professional about 90 minutes to install this, so if you don’t consider yourself extremely handy, you should probably call a plumber.
If you want peace of mind, then this Grohe system can give you just that as it continuously monitors your home for even the slightest sign of any leaks.
What we liked best:
- It comes with the option to shut off your water automatically, or you can do it manually or remotely.
- Includes the ONDUS app, which can be used on your iOS or Android.
- You can use the app as a remote control and customize your settings for water conservation.
- It can be installed either horizontally or vertically by your water meter.
- It uses a standard electrical outlet of 110V.
- It can only be installed on a potable cold water line with a limited pipe size (1-inch maximum).
Notes: The Grohe Sense Guard Smart Water Controller is currently not available to use with any of the smart home hubs.
Size(s) – 10.44 x 3.63 x 5.44 Inches
Compatibility – N/A
#5 – Dome Home Automation Water Shutoff Valve
This is our top pick for the best value for money automatic water shut off valve.
It’s affordable and gets the job done so that you don’t have to worry about any leaks in your home.
The valve controller will automatically shut off your water when a leak has been detected.
You can set up the Smart Home Automation Water Alarm to notify you of any issues, even when you are not home or even on vacation.
This is one that you can easily install yourself with the easy-to-follow instructions that are included.
It comes with an extra long power cord, so you don’t need to use any extension cords.
If you want to have complete control of your water without spending a ton of money, then this could be the perfect solution.
What we liked best:
- Z-Wave Mobile Application for remotely controlling your water
- Simple installation with a single tool and no professional help needed
- Includes built-in range extender and powerful motor
- Can shut down any water leaks automatically
- Works with ¼ turn valves found on most water heaters
- It can only be used for pipes up to 1 ½”
Size(s) – 6 x 2.5 x 3.5 Inches
Compatibility – Nexia, Home Seer, Wink, SmartThings, and Other Hubs
What is Automatic Water Shut Off Valve?
An automatic valve that shuts off water is a device used to prevent flooding in your home or business. They can detect leaks and even moisture depending on the type you have installed. They are often used to control the water flow in a house as well.
Nowadays, you will find smart devices that include mobile apps that allow you to control your water usage by touching your smartphone’s screen buttons.
There are basic apps and ones that will enable you to control everything while you’re on vacation.
You can find three different kinds of automatic shut off valves:
- One Point of Use
- Whole House (2)
- Commercial High Volume (3)
Depending on your home’s size and how much protection you want when it comes to preventing flooding, you would probably choose between one or two valves.
If you want to install an automatic water shut-off valve yourself and without a professional’s assistance, then choosing a motorized existing bulldog valve such as the EcoNet Controls Bulldog Valve Robot would be the way to go.
Why Do You Need an Automatic Water Shut Off Valve?
There are many reasons that people want to install an automatic water shut off valve outside of the apparent cause, preventing flooding in their homes.
Below are some of the top reasons you should consider getting one for your home:
- You could qualify for a discount on your homeowner’s policy.
- They can help protect your valuables from water damage.
- Notifies you of broken pipes or can detect even the smallest leaks.
- Allows you to sleep peacefully knowing your home is protected, even when you’re on vacation.
- Provides more safety during unusual weather conditions, such as tornadoes, heavy rainfall, or hurricanes.
- It makes your water usage more efficient and helps prevent wasted water.
Even with all the reasons above, there is still the main contributor that every automatic water shut-off valve provides, and that’s to prevent any flooding before it ever happens.
How Do Water Leaks Happen?
If you’ve ever been unfortunate enough to experience a broken water heater, then you probably already know how some of the most common water leaks happen.
However, water heaters should not be your only concern when trying to prevent flooding in your home.
Here are some other causes of major leaks in houses:
- Freezing Pipes
- Bursting Toilet Lines
- Tube Cracks on the Refrigerator
- Broken Valve on Water Spigots
When one or more of the above happens, you could easily spend thousands of dollars on repairs.
Imagine having your water heater on an upper floor, and it breaks, sending all those gallons of water through your foundation, inside your walls, and into your living space.
That is a nightmare waiting to happen, but now think about living in a condo or apartment, and your water heater explodes, causing your neighbors home to flood.
All of this could be prevented by installing an automatic water shut-off valve.
Do You Need to Hire a Professional for Installation of Your Automatic Water Shut Off Valve?
Depending on which type of automatic water shut off valve you purchase, you could skip the professional and spend a day doing the installation as a DIY project.
However, suppose you have zero experience doing these types of installations, and you find it difficult to follow the instructions.
In that case, we suggest hiring a professional plumber to get the job done correctly and in a timely manner.
There are some tasks that even the most determined person should seek help when tackling the installation process.
When it comes to your plumbing, you’re going to want to be sure that your automatic water shut-off valve is installed properly and that you know how to use it.
Many of the automatic water shut-off valves come with mobile apps or the ability to connect and communicate through home devices such as Alexa or Google Assistant.
You will be notified promptly on your smartphone when a leak is detected, and your valve has been turned off.
Plus, you can manually shut off your water if you will be away for a few days or weeks.
We hope that our detailed list of the 5 Best Automatic water shut Off Valves makes your choice easier when deciding to get your own.
It doesn’t matter if you want to stick to the basics or go all the way with a wifi connected controller; they will all put your mind at ease when it comes to preventing leaks.
The trendy-looking Dyson Humidifier is not only a very futuristic-looking appliance but looks like it may be able to boost your Wi-Fi signal. Jokes aside, the British Dyson brand is very good at...
Ring doorbell is one of the most advanced and feature loaded device that keeps you updated with who is at your door, what movements are happening around even when you are away from your home.Not...